2020 CACE Furture Leaders Conference Agenda
Click here for a printable copy of the program.
Friday, April 24, 2020
- Informal gathering for those who arrive on Friday – (Cash Bar)
- Rooms available at Conference Hotel, Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
Saturday, April 25, 2020
10:00 am– 1:00 pm - Registration
11:50 am – 1:00 pm - Attendee Networking Lunch
1:05 – 1:15 pm - Welcome Remarks – Co-Chairs
Speakers: Martin Thompson, McMillan LLP & Casey Dockendorff, Filion Wakely Thorup Angeletti LLP
1:15 – 2:15 pm - Settlement Tips, Tricks and Pitfalls
Speakers: Casey Dockendorff, Filion Wakely Thorup Angeletti LLP, Guy Lavoie, Lavery de Billy LLP & Martin Thompson, McMillan LLP (Moderator)
- Can I structure a settlement such that some payments are deferred into a new year?
- What is a “retiring allowance” and why does it matter?
- Transferring a retiring allowance to an RRSP account: what are the rules?
- Dealing with a Plaintiff who has received E.I. benefits
- Legal fees, general damages, moving expenses, benefits and other heads of damages- taxable or not?
- What if the Plaintiff is not a Canadian resident?
- What about interest payments- taxable or non-taxable?
2:15 – 2:35 pm - Networking Break
2:35 – 3:35 pm - Law Firm Partnership: A Candid Discussion
Speakers: Craig Munroe, Pulver Crawford Munroe LLP, Kecia Podetz, Emond Harnden LLP, Martin Thompson, McMillan LLP & Casey Dockendorff, Filion Wakely Thorup Angeletti LLP (Moderator)
- Small firm vs. large firm partnership tracks
- The brass ring? – pros and cons of partnership
- My own clients – are they necessary? Where do they come from?
- Plan ahead- ask questions and understand your options
- What’s the right mix: billable hours, business development, internal firm matters
3:35 – 4:35 pm - Back to Basics: Rules of Evidence in Employment Trials and Arbitrations
Speaker: Rebecca Saturley, Stewart McKelvey LLP
- Social Media
- Relevance at arbitration: does it exist?
- Expert Evidence
6:30 – 7:30 pm - Networking Cocktail Event – La Chapelle
8:00 – 10:00 pm - Dinner – La Chapelle
Sunday, April 26, 2020
9:00 – 9:45 am - Buffet Breakfast
9:45 – 10:45 am - Looking Back: Lessons Learned from the Practice
Speakers: Clarence Bennett, Stewart McKelvey & Amy Tibble, Hicks Morley
- Tickler systems –how and why to use them
- Managing client expectations
- Use an expert until you are one
- Know your professional obligations
Personal and Practical tips:
- Three A’s: affability, availability, and ability in that order
- Own your losses and not just your wins
- They call it “practice” because we are always learning
- Credibility counts!
10:45 – 11:45 am - In-House Counsel Relations: Please Remember What I Do!
Speakers: John Martelli, Bruce Power & Jason Green, J.D. Irving, Limited
- Remember, we have internal clients who are running a fast-paced business
- Business advice versus legal advice- what our internal clients really want
- Why “sorry, great idea but you can’t do that” is not the answer we want
- I know I am a lawyer, but don’t write for me
- Why what the Court of Appeal said in the case law you provide doesn’t matter
- If my internal clients have to scroll down to read what’s on their screen, they may never read it- be short and to the point
11:45 – 12:00 pm - Networking Break
12:00 – 1:00 pm - Mentoring Roundtable 4.0
Speakers: Senior CACE Lawyers
- Scenario Discussions led by Senior CACE Lawyers
1:00 pm - Closing Remarks
Speaker: Amy Tibble, 2019-2020 CACE President